Halloween Candy and Wine Pairing


It all started with a laughing conversation at work, candy paring for wine. Is it possible? What is the perfect pairing? Who would risk their palate for such a trivial quest?  Well… I would. When it comes to wine, it is my version of wanderlust. Wine-derlust? Has anyone coined this phrase yet?
As an adventurous wine drinker, I was happily involved with this challenge of a “$20 or under” bottle and candy pairing to impress. As a semi-amateur wine connoisseur who has an incredible sweet tooth, I went to my local grocery supermarket find the perfect Halloween candy combo.

Sparkling and Candy Corn

The first pairing that I wanted to try was Sparkling Wine and Candy Corn. This was a combination that was so hard for me to attempt, as I love champagne and sparkling wine, but I absolutely hate candy corn. I grabbed a bottle of Domain De Chandon Brut ($17) and a bag of generic candy corn ($2 for the giant bag). The fun bubbles of this California brut tones down the waxiness of the candy corn and intensifies the creaminess of the combo. The dryness of the wine helped with the overbearing sweetness of the Halloween “favorite”. This might be the only way I would have candy corn in the future.


Chardonnay and Butterfinger

As I made my rounds through the aisles, I noticed a giant Butterfingers display. The choice was clear as clarified butter: Butterfinger and chardonnay. With my bag of Butterfingers ($4 for the bag) I needed a chardonnay that could get through all that chocolate and flaky butterscotch. I needed a French Burgundy chardonnay, and the answer was Les Charmes Chardonnay ($14). This white Burgundy is stone fruit centered and mineral driven, which actually was perfect to cut through the creamy layers of a Butterfinger candy bar.


Pinot Noir and Whoppers

Moving on, Pinot Noir is one of my favorite varietals. I found the wonderful Louis Latour Bourgogne Pinot Noir ($16) and I wanted to pair it with something a little out there. I found my seamless pairing three isles over—Whoppers ($4 for the box) sounded like an excellent choice with Pinot Noir. The dryness and clay presence of Louis Latour gave a nice contrast to the creaminess of vanilla and chocolate of the Whoppers. The crunch of the candy was somewhat congruent with clay notes, and brought out a hint of berry in the Pinot, as well. Berries, chocolate, and vanilla. At times, if I closed my eyes it tricked me into thinking I was having a Neapolitan sundae.


Syrah and Reece’s Cups

Thinking of pairing Syrah, I knew exactly where to head, and grabbed one of my party favorites: a Charles and Charles Syrah Blend ($10). Usually I grab a bottle (or six) of Charles and Charles for a BBQ, but this time I needed the bottle for a partnership of another spectrum. Syrah’s blueberry, blackberry and plums pleasantly pairs with the decadent cups of chocolate that are filled with creamy peanut butter. It was the way to go! Reese’s Cups ($3 for the bag) were always my favorite candy when going trick-or-treating, and now I have another reason to get them when I’m at the store. Now you have one, too.



Cabernet Sauvignon and Snickers

Cabernet Sauvignon, the world’s most populist and most popular grape, had to be on my pairing list. The wonderful full-bodied Joel Gott 815 Cabernet Sauvignon ($15) shows great concentrated berry fruit, spice and firm tannins. Paring the Joel Gott 815 was easy. I decided on the world’s number one grape with the world’s bestselling candy, Snickers ($3 for the bag). The grandiose pair play off each other with caramel, nougat and vanilla from the oak of 815 complimenting the Snickers. This pairing might be your Halloween party must, as it surely will get people talking about your wonderful selection of wine and candy.

Zinfandel and Dove Dark Chocolate

Always wanting to try the dark and seductive 1000 Stories Bourbon Barrel Aged Zinfandel ($15), it was an absolute must for my Halloween experiment. I needed something rich and decadent to combine with this big Zinfandel, noticing something exciting as the wine on the Halloween Candy aisle, it was Dove Dark Chocolate Pumpkins ($4 for the bag). The lingering finish of the wine goes hand in hand with the richness of the dark chocolate. All while the presence of ripe berries cuts through the creaminess of Dove chocolate, making it a delicious and fun Halloween pairing.



So, weather you’re grabbing a bag or just a single chocolate bar during this Halloween season, be sure to pair it with your favorite vino. You never know what magical duo you might discover when having fun and reliving your fond memories of trick-or-treating.



Comments

  1. Never heard of having chocolate with wine before, but looks like I'll have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHERE HAS THIS INFORMATION BEEN ALL MY LIFE!!?!! I usually end up pairing all sweets with Moscato.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts