Thanksgiving Wine Tips

It seems that at every major gathering (Thanksgiving for example) many of us have trouble finding the right bottle for the occasion. The anxiety brings forth the questions about who will like the wine? How much should I spend on wine? Will the wine pair nicely with the meal? Or the scariest one of them all, will we have enough wine for the evening at hand? I have no shame in admitting that those questions come up in my head every Thanksgiving. Like many wine lovers, I split Thanksgiving Day between two houses, one half with my family and the other with my fiancée’s family. So, the day always calls for plenty of wine. I want to answer those questions before you walk into the wine aisle and help you broaden the wine horizon for Thanksgiving Day.

“Will we have enough wine for the evening at hand?”   


More wine is probably sold for Thanksgiving dinner than any other meal of the year, therefore it seems you should get some great wine. Waiting for the dinner to begin can be a long process, so make sure there is plenty of wine. Always bring more wine than needed—having extra is okay, but calling the night short is never fun. On average, a drinking guest who consumes a few glasses will need a bottle of wine for the full evening. This may sound like a lot. But remember, a wine bottle holds only four glasses (that is, if the pours are accurately sized and not overly generous). And if uncorking begins in the afternoon and continues for several hours, it’s conceivable you might tap into the backup selection. I love to bring magnum bottles, as the 1.5-liter bottles of wine are always so
much fun for conversation.

“How much should I spend on wine?” 


I love to wow friends and family with great wine, but with a noisy Thanksgiving dinner, perhaps save the reserve selection for more intimate day. I would keep the bottle price under $20. As mentioned in my previous post, just because the wine is under $20, it doesn’t have to be disappointing table wine. There is vast selection of terrific wines for under $20. Plan for a single bottle to disappear within minutes if your dinner party is around six or more guests partaking in the vino.

“Will the wine pair nicely with the meal?” 


I would not worry about pairing wines too much on Thanksgiving. Naturally, be considerate of the selection, but the holidays bring with them enough stress. Bringing a mix of red wine varietals such as Bordeaux, Pinot Noir, Syrah, Beaujolais, and Cabernet Franc work great. White wines that generally pair well with a Thanksgiving feast range from Chardonnay and Champagne for guests who like something light or even celebratory, to Riesling for those who like a sweeter glass. Your Thanksgiving dinner companions will not be disappointed with your selection if you bring a variety.


“Will everyone like the wine?”


Pardon the pun… but there will usually be a sour grape in every crowd. You may never please every last palate in the room. But you can come pretty close with at least a few varietal options. Bringing something the host specifically will like is a terrific gesture of any dinner guest. And the other guests will usually drink whatever is available—and let’s not forget, should be thankful for on Thanksgiving. Think of yourself, what wine did you think was delightful and amazed you at a dinner party or holiday meal?
Let’s get into the bottle list that is going to be in my wine bag this Thanksgiving. I don’t get paid by the stores or the vineyards that I talk about, so these are honest reviews of some of my favorite
selections for a Thanksgiving dinner.

Bubbles


As always, I love starting with bubbles for any celebration, and I’m not particular about it being Champagne or Prosecco or California sparkling. Pop a bottle and it will get people excited and clinking glasses right off the bat. Vintage bubbles are not often cheap, but luckily your friendly Trader Joe’s has you covered. The 2015 Cecilia Beretta Cenegliano Valdobbiadene is terrific Brut Prosecco and a delicious mouthful in more ways than just the name. With crisp bubbles it will fill your glass and carry you through dinner. And at only $10 you can’t go wrong with this starter.

Chardonnay



They call Chardonnay the king of white wines, and this versatile grape delivers an array of styles. Now, for Thanksgiving I would recommend grabbing a bottle of low oak or unoaked Chardonnay with vast acidity to cut through all the rich buttery flavors in all that food. A White Burgundy would be ideal. Such as the 2013 Louis Latour Grand Ardèche Chardonnay, with its hints of almond, vanilla and white fruits, this will go great with the side dishes at dinner. And for $13 at your Whole Foods, the wine drinks like a $30 counterpart.

Bordeaux 


Let’s be honest here, it’s not hard to find a wonderful Bordeaux. But finding said style for under $20, on the other hand, is another story. I frequented many wine shops around my area several times a week before I found the perfect bottle for the occasion at Trader Joe’s. I’m talking about 2009 Chateau Le Grand Faurie Saint Emilion Grand Cru. This bottle will open up flavors of mushroom, leafy forest floor (enchantment in a glass anyone?) as well as plums mixed with other red fruits. The guests will be amazed at the quality of your wine selection. Saint Emilion is one of my favorite regions for wine and produces amazing Merlot and Cab Franc prominent wines. This particular bottle will pair splendid with the main attraction of the table, that mouthwatering turkey. At $18 for Grand Cru, I should have bought a case instead of one bottle.
I hope your mind is at ease for turkey day, at least about the wine. May it lift the spirits of you and your loved ones and make it one happy, jovial occasion. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!

Comments

  1. This post comes in handy for today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great recommendations, I can't wait to try some!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! I stumbled upon a Chateau St. Jean Merlot (normally $16.99 but on sale for $9.99 at Kroger) that I brought to Thanksgiving - it was probably one of the best I've had to date! Also, last I checked it was still on sale (as of a couple of days ago) so if you're looking for a new wine to try, I'd highly recommend it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts